Assignment: Job Descriptions
A job description is a useful tool in preparing for the interview process. It helps the interviewer
understand the job and provides overview of job duties for applicants. In this Assignment you will
develop a comprehensive job description.
In this Assignment, you will be assessed on the following outcome:
HR400-1: Plan the steps involved with the recruitment and interview process.
Before starting this Assignment, review the Assignment Checklist. Then, in a separate Word
document, write a 2–3 page paper based on the following scenario:
You are the hiring manager at a major home improvement retailer, Home Improvement Center, and
need to fill a position for a night shift supervisor. Applicants should have retail business experience,
preferably in housewares, and at least some supervisory experience. You are looking for someone to
fill third shift from 10 p.m. – 6 a.m. Your company offers the industry standard for salary, benefits, and
1. Write a comprehensive job description for this position that will help you prepare for the
interview process and address any questions you might receive from applicants. Be sure to apply
the guidelines for writing job descriptions you learned about in your reading. You are also
encouraged to conduct your own outside research on a major home improvement center to help
you complete this activity.
2. At the end of the job description provide an explanation for how you incorporated the guidelines
for writing job descriptions found on pages 79 – 80 in your text.
Title: night shift supervisor
Reports to: Production Supervisor
Direct reports: Inspector, good inspection.
Job Classification: Exempt
Job Purpose: To deal with the move and all immediate staff. To guarantee a smooth running of the production procedure, as well as the delivery of all items, are to the predefined determinations and destinations. Target and due dates are met to accomplish the requests. To make sure that all immediate staffs agree to the organization’s Health and Safety methods.
Job Summary: the supervisor must have the capacity to play out the duties and obligations as illustrated in the job description. The supervisor must bolster the store group with the course of action by successfully and effectively carrying out instructions as given by the store manager. He must have the ability to sort out errands and obligations, guaranteeing the store availability preceding the store opening every morning at the time of the opening.
- To take full responsibility of the store during his or her working hours in term of delegating duties and controlling as well as monitoring other staff members, monitor the production and quality of the targets to make sure that everything runs as expected.
- Must take charge of all company production activities during the third shift that starts at 10 p.m to 6 a.m every single day unless he or she if off duty.
- To make sure that health and safety rules and regulations of all members of the workforce are strictly and closely followed during the shift and all complaint or issues arising as a result of the safety of the employees are addressed using the resources within the organization with respect to the company policies (“Job descriptions, job specifications and goalsetting,” n.d..
- The supervisor should work closely with other supervisors to make sure that the handing over from one shift to another is smooth and effective to minimize time wastage and confusion.
- Maintaining high levels of time keeping as well as make appropriate decisions that follow the company structures and help to further the objectives of the organization and individual workers.
- Must have excellent communication skills to help deliver directives and instructions to employees as well as customer service skills
- Must have 3 to 4 years of experience in the same capacity
- Must be an excellent decision maker and have the ability to solve urgent and important issues affecting the production processes.
- Must have strong organization skills
- Must have a degree in procurement and store keeping
- Must have the capacity to perform the accompanying physical practices redundantly all through the shift such as : standing, strolling, taking care of, achieving on a level plane and getting a handle on solidly
- Must have the capacity to perform the accompanying physical practices often all through the night such as : reaching above the shoulder, reaching underneath the midsection, pushing catches, twisting, stooping, hunching down, hunkering, bowing and pushing
- Must have the capacity to lift and convey up to 35 lbs
- Ability to learn and use the store’s innovation
- Must have solid transportation
- Must be no less than 18 years of age to be considered for this part
- Ability to direct others and organize undertakings
The guidelines for writing job descriptions
To incorporate the above job description, I had to align the objectives of the organization and individuals to come up with job specifics that will focus on achieving these goals and objectives (Cushway, 2008,). Moreover, the skills of the employees had to be matched with the tasks and responsibility at hand.
Cushway, B. (2008). The handbook of model job descriptions. London: Kogan Page.
Job descriptions, job specifications and goalsetting. (n.d.). Teacher appraisal, 38-60. doi:10.4324/9780203422885_chapter_4