Locate an article related to hazard identification and control. Try using a variety of search terms (e.g., hazard identification, hazard control, hazard prevention, industrial hazards, occupational hazards, controlling hazards). The selected article must be from a professional or academic journal, at least two pages in length, and published within the last five years. Be sure that the article is specific to occupational safety and health as some search terms may result in articles related to the finance and insurance industries. Write a review that includes the following components:
- a brief introduction to the article,
- a summary and analysis of the key points in the article,
- a discussion on how the article supports or contradicts the concepts as presented in the textbook, and
- a summary of the article’s conclusions and your own opinions.
Hazard identification and control
The article Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Risk Control in Foundry attempts to show various ways workers in a foundry industry can identify the hazards and the risk by conducting an analysis of each steps encompassing various activities in the industry. Moreover, the author goes ahead to provide suggestions that can help workers to reduce if not totally eliminate all the risks through the utilization of the tool hazard identification and risk assessment. For an industry to succeed, it has to satisfy their employees need by providing a safe working environment (Irawan, 2015).
The article goes ahead to define what is hazard and risk as well as describing the necessary steps that industry has to follow to identify the hazards likely to face the workforce. Some of the risk identification techniques presented includes:
- Identification of major incidents and accidents which could occur in the workplace
- Creating awareness among all employees about the causes of major accidents at the workplace
- Giving a systematic record of all hazards identified and major incidents in the organization together with any assumptions made.
The article goes on to outline the necessary steps that an individual has to follow to manage hazards and risks in the workplace. Hazard and risk management encompasses:
- Identification of the hazards
- Determining its significance to the industry
- Controlling the identified hazards through elimination, substitution, isolation or minimization
- Educating all the workers on hazards and risks by training them how to conduct themselves in the case of an accident as well as all the activities carried to court in the industry.
The article goes on to provide the reader with the knowledge on how he or she can identify occupational hazards and risk to health. According to the author, hazard and risk analysis should be conducted for all activities for all tasks, activities, and processes in an organization as well as studying the reactions of the employees to provide a way forward (Irawan, 2015). In addition, in the case of changes in the organization processes and activities, all employees should be trained accordingly as well as review the existing hazard identification and risk assessment to conduct the necessary changes.
The article fully supports the concepts presented in the textbook as the author is quick to mention the responsibility of each in the industry in the attempt of ensuring that there is a collection bargain in a company. The article established that collective efforts are necessary from the employees, managers and all stakeholders in a company in their attempt of making the workplace safe. Additionally, the article clearly outlines its objectives at the start of the discussion to ensure that every leader is well aware of what to expect and what to gain from reading it. Finally, each idea is written in an independent paragraph to ensure that the reader is not confused at any point of his or her study.
In the conclusion part of the article, the author provides a summary of the key points presented in the article and repeatedly states the importance of hazard identification and risk assessment tools in an organization. The article does a great job in enlightening employees and readers on how to avoid hazards and risks (Irawan, 2015). However, the article fails to provide basic guidelines on how the workers should conduct themselves in the case of an accident to minimize the damage of the incident.
Irawan, S. P. (2015). Penyusunan Hazard Identification Risk Assessment and Risk Control (HIRARC) Di PT. X. Jurnal Titra, 3(1),, 15-18.
Rausand, M. (2013). Hazard Identification. Risk Assessment, 213-263. doi:10.1002/9781118281116.ch9