Identifying the key components of information systems management-Research Paper
Identifying the key components of information systems management discussed throughout this course.Provide a description of an organization you are familiar with (possibly a company you have worked for in the past or are currently working for) and describe briefly what services they contribute. Then, select three out of the six questions below,and provide detailed answers, supporting those answers by referencing any sources used. Be sure to use examples from your research to strengthen your argument as needed.
What personal knowledge management tools does this organization utilize?
What steps has this organization taken in securing their information and knowledge?
What has this organization done to gain and sustain an advantage over their competitors
Describe in detail how this organization manages the components of its IT infrastructure.
In what ways does the organization demonstrate successful collaboration?
Identify at least two types of hardware and two types of software used by this organization.
Information systems management
With recent advancement in technology, most companies have heavily invested in digital machines that help to improve their efficiency and effectiveness. Upon realizing that this is a golden opportunity, G-10 holdings a digital company that focuses on offering internet services quickly invested in the market to tap the ever growing internet market. At G-10 holdings, our items and administrations, our kin and our way to deal with business are held to the most elevated guidelines so we can unite the world by providing internet services to connect every individual (Laudon & Laudon, 2017). The organization is guided by straightforward rationality, solid qualities and high moral models that inform the daily company operations. The company offers WI-FI services, internet connection and TV packages where users subscribe to these services for a small fee, and they get to enjoy full time and unlimited services.
Knowledge management largely focuses on availing the right knowledge to the right people so that they can make the best out of it. Therefore, knowledge management is very important in an organization considering that it enables the management and the workforce of the organization to learn, retrieve and use its knowledge assets whenever they are needed. Over time, different knowledge management tools have been used different and by a different organization to improve their performance. Some of the tools used in G-10 holdings include:
- Data warehousing – in recent times, investors have found it necessary to store data in data warehouses. Data warehousing in a new system in the market used for reporting and information analysis and it is one of the primary components of business intelligence. Through data warehousing, an investor is in a position to design and implement a data warehouse of his choice depending on the needs and requirements of his business (Awad & Ghaziri, 2010).
- Data mining – this is a procedure utilized by investors and businesses to try to develop usable knowledge and data from data warehousing. However, data mining does not begin with procreated assumptions about the information, and its techniques are far much better for heterogeneous databases and data sets.
Technology and new processes in the market have increased competition for the existing and potential market to a whole new level. Therefore, firms are striving and struggling to gain and maintain competitive advantages in the market. To maintain their position in the highly competitive digital market, G-10 makes sure that:
- It exercises cost leadership – cost leadership focuses on production and sale of high-quality products and services to customers at relatively lower prices than their competitors. This technique allows the company to earn little above average profits which in turn are invested in improving the quality of the company serves (Šarić, 2012).
- Focusing – focus enables the company to put all their efforts and dominate a niche market. The company concentrates on a limited part of the market which is the provision of internet services to the customers thus allowing the company to understand dynamic and unique needs of this market.
Hardware is a permanent and invariable factor of production used by organizations to produce goods and services while software is a collection of commands and instructions that enable a user to interact with computers (Awad & Ghaziri, 2010). Some of the hardware used by the company includes:
- Central processing unit (CPU) – it is widely described as the brains of a computer that helps in calculations of various problems by a user. It is small, thin silicon waterproof circuit in a computer.
- Mouse – it is an input device used to point and select items when working with computers.
On the pother hand, types of software used by the company include:
- System software – they include all programs that help in managing the computer itself (Šarić, 2012).
- Application software – they include end user programs that assist a computer user in using the computer system with ease.
Awad, E. M., & Ghaziri, H. M. (2010). Knowledge management. North Garden, V.A: International Technology Group Ltd.
Laudon, K. C., & Laudon, J. P. (2017). Essentials of management information systems.
Šarić, S. (2012). Competitive advantages through clusters: An empirical study with evidence from China. Wiesbaden: Springer Gabler.