Describe and analyze the broad range of talent management efforts that use software applications to help you Director to make an educated decision. Give some examples of firms that have successfully used these applications. Describe how these efforts are useful in terms of strategic human capital management.
- A software is a set of instructions and programs that are used to operate computers and machinery. It is usually divided into applications software and system software and can be thought to be the variable part of a computer or machinery(Kumar, 2013).
- However, not all software are compatible with all hardware and thus, there is the need to perform a compatibility test to determine the best software that suits a situation or an organization.
- A computer-based information system has various components such as hardware, software and human resource making it very hard for one to operate without the other. Thus, they all must be used together.
Types of software
- There exists a wide range of software that can be utilized on various occasions depending on the situation and magnitude of workload. It is worth noting that there is no single software that can be proposed for certain situation and thus, the user must conduct its usability and compatibility before installing(Reuwer, 2013).
- A software helps people and organization to use a computer and other computer related machines to operate thus improving our efficiency and effectiveness as well as total productivity.
- However, for an individual to be in a position to use specific software, he must display some knowledge and skills in that field. Failure to have these much-needed skills will lead top failure of the software.
Related:Human Resource Management
- Accounting software is an application software that can be used by individuals and organization to record, process accounting transactions with functional elements such as accounts payable, accounts receivable and trial balance(Schorr, 2013).
- Accounting software enables the collection, storing and processing financial and accounting data to provide and retrieve information that is used by decision makers in the future of the business.
- This software can be acquired through various methods and ways that include in-house development by the host organization, purchasing it from a third party or combining a third party application with minor modifications to suit the situation.
- A good example of an accounting software is enterprise accounting software that helps an organization to keep track of financial transactions and the data and information produced by these transactions.
- Collaborative software is a groupware or software that can be used by more than one person that is usually created and designed to allow individuals to perform a similar task from different workstations(Ramler, 2016).
- Collaboration software can also be referred as confluence software that allows easy communication and access to company records that are widely used to make decisions as it facilitates quick collaboration and sharing of information.
- Moreover, online collaboration helps individuals from various parts and stations to work online with their colleagues using the cloud to aid communication, file sharing, and project management.
- A good example of this software is Lotus Notes that are widely focused in communications.
- A database is a computer software application that creates a platform where the users, other applications and the database itself can interact freely with no limitations(Ambler, 2012).
- The basic purpose of this software is to define, searching, updating and the administration of databases that helps in preventing data loss in case of danger.
- This software provides a channel that can be used to store as well as retrieve information whenever needed for decision-making as well as providing insight into the progress and performance of the business.
- One of the popular databases that can be used in an organization is Oracle database.
Project management software
- Project management software is widely used by project managers, stakeholders, and other users to control the costs and work in progress on on-going projects as it widely helps in project scheduling and resource allocation(Burke, 2013).
- Each project management software is highly dependable on the size of the project in question considering that is can also help to keep a record and track on the capacity of the people and other materials that are used to complete the project.
- It helps to maintain the quality of the project and the goods and services provided by an organization through quality assurance as well as budgeting. The best and ideal example of Project management software is the Harvest.
- A software is important to any organization that desires to go digital, and the hardware cannot operate on their own. However, the organization must perform a background study of each software before adapting.
- High skills are needed in operating this software to guarantee better and accurate results.
- Ambler, S. (2012). Agile database techniques: Effective strategies for the agile software developer. John Wiley & Sons.
- Burke, R. (2013). Project management: planning and control techniques. New Jersey, USA.
- Kumar, J. (2013). Gamification at work: Designing engaging business software. In International Conference of Design, User Experience, and Usability , (pp. 528-537). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Ramler, R. F. (2016). Industry-Academia Collaboration in Software Testing: An Overview of TAIC PART 2016. In Software Testing, Verification and Validation Workshops (ICSTW), 2016 IEEE Ninth International Conference on , (pp. 238-239). IEEE.
- Reuwer, T. J. (2013). Key factors in the internationalisation process of SMEs exporting business software as a service. . International Journal of Business Information Systems, 12(2), , 140-162.
- Schorr, M. S. (2013). U.S. Patent No. 8,442,850. Washington, DC: U.S. . U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.